The government has sent a proposal to the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) to organise a cricket match on August 22 between India and the rest of the world as part of celebrations to mark 75 years of India's independence.
The tournament brings together the six continental champions from across the world, with European Champions League winners Bayern Munich the first to have qualified.
The Indian cricket team already has a cramped round-the-year schedule and skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni made it clear that it's not his team's responsibility to play more against countries like UAE in a bid to raise the quality and profile of the game in ICC's Associate nations.
Prabha Atre, the woman who could have been lawyer, scientist or doctor but became a globally renowned Hindustani classical vocalist instead, died in her Pune home on Saturday hours before she was to leave for a concert in Mumbai. She was 92.
India would be looking to sort out issues such as the opening blues, the middle-lower order conundrum and also the bowling strategies during the three-match T20 series against West Indies.
Indian team's jersey sponsor Byju's wants to terminate its agreement with the BCCI which has asked the company to continue at least until March 2023.
Organisers expect this year's Twenty20 World Cup to be a success even if it has to vie with Australian rules football and rugby league for viewers due to the coronavirus pandemic, the head of the organising committee said on Sunday. The October 18-November 15 tournament was slotted into Australia's sports calendar between the end of the football season and the beginning of summer cricket to draw maximum attention.
'Historically, equities have consistently outperformed debt, gold, property, and other assets over a reasonable period.'
The IPL, with an estimated brand value of $8.4 billion, continues to attract the world's top players and coaches.
'Geopolitical risks and their impact on oil prices, if any, are another concern for global markets, particularly for India.'
IMAGES from the 3rd ODI between India and Australia played in Rajkot on Wednesday
The novel coronavirus outbreak has prompted India to withdraw from next month's shooting World Cup in Cyprus, the National Rifles Association of India (NRAI) revealed on Friday.
England one-day international captain Eoin Morgan has played down the need for a new world league in the shorter format of the game, adding that the World Cup and Champions Trophy remain appealing enough to attract audiences. The International Cricket Council (ICC) is set to discuss a new league of 13 teams at their annual meeting in Edinburgh this month, with the top two finishers playing off in a final in a revamp of the ODI format, according to media reports. However, Morgan said that the current 50-overs format was exciting for viewers, despite being threatened by the emergence of the Twenty20 cricket.
FIFA president Gianni Infantino is planning a fresh 24-team Club World Cup to start with a 'pilot' edition in 2021.
The ECA, an organisation representing 220 soccer clubs, opposes the world governing body's decision which Rummenigge, the former Germany international who is also Bayern Munich's chief executive, has previously dismissed as "nonsense".
Transition struggle for Indian archers in forgettable 2022
Of $90 billion remittances that India is expected to receive in 2022, only $27.4 billion has come in the first half of the year.
...Set house in order soon or Indian archers will compete under world body flag
The Badminton World Federation (BWF) has said that it will not restrict Chinese players from participating in international competitions due to the coronavirus epidemic. Over 550 people have died in mainland China due to the flu-like virus after it first emerged in Wuhan, Hubei province, late last year and it has also shut down Chinese cities and forced thousands more into quarantine around the world.
Calendar 2022 will go down as a year when the real star was the Next Big Idea.
BWF said that Finland will host the Sudirman Cup Finals in September-October while the season-ending World Tour Finals will be staged in Indonesia.
The rumblings of discontent from Righteous Europe over Qatar's admittedly appalling human rights record can only be viewed as deeply disingenuous and phoney, argues Kanika Datta.
Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma have a chance to cement their status as two of the best to play the 20-over format.
And, Shaheen Afridi won the T20I bowling award for his annihilation of India in the 10-wicket win for Pakistan at the T20 World Cup.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India is planning to advance India's cricket tour of Sri Lanka by at least a week.
Wimbledon organisers will announce the cancellation of the grasscourt Grand Slam this week due to the coronavirus pandemic, German Tennis Federation (DTB) vice-president Dirk Hordorff told Sky Sports. All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC) officials earlier said the June 29-July 12 event would not be played behind closed doors and postponement was not without significant risk and difficulty.
Azarenka said she believed getting vaccinated was the socially responsible thing to do
News of all that's transpired on and off the football field
The news of his passing is sad and sudden but the body of work he leaves behind will neither fade nor be forgotten.
The unprecedented shutdown of world sport in response to the coronavirus spread that has infected more than 134,000 people and killed around 5,000 also prompted organisers to postpone the Formula One motor races in Vietnam and Bahrain. The start of the lucrative Indian Premier League has also been postponed until April 15 as a "precautionary measure", the Board of Control for Cricket in India said.
No lives were lost after cyclone Biparjoy made landfall. Preparations for Biparjoy were not only extensive, they were also telecast far and wide. Ahead of the cyclone's landfall, Shyam G Menon observes there was considerable publicity on how much the government was geared up to face the storm and its aftermath.
The ATP and WTA have extended the suspension of their tours until June 7, the two tennis bodies said in a joint statement on Wednesday, as the coronavirus pandemic continued to shred the sporting calendar. The claycourt season "will not be held as scheduled" due to the suspension, the organising bodies of the men's and women's tours said. The men's ATP and women's WTA rankings will be frozen for the time.
Legendary Indian skipper Mithali Raj feels the COVID-19 forced break may have pushed back the growth of women's cricket by at least two years. Mithali, Indian women's ODI captain and the world's highest run-getter in 50-over cricket, also said that a full-fledged women's Indian Premier League is still at least three years away although a fourth team can be added for the Challenger series.
'I hope that as an association we make the best decision for our business, for our health, for the tournaments, for public.'
The Hyderabad Open badminton tournament, scheduled to be held from August 11 to 16, was on Thursday cancelled by the world body BWF in view of the coronavirus pandemic. The event was part of the BWF's revised calendar to restart the sport after the pandemic-forced cancellations since March.
Summary of sports events and persons who made news on Wednesday
Tennis fans 12 years or older will be required to show proof of a COVID-19 vaccine in order to attend the US Open, tournament officials announced Friday, just three days before the main draw was set to begin.
'As a cricketer, in the last few years, we lost out on a few games which we could have potentially played. Yes, if we could sneak in a few matches, it would be great.'
Dowse said that the women's competition will see 10 former Grand Slam champions, including 23-time major winner Serena Williams, along with 81 of the top 100. In the men's event, seven of the world top ten are competing.
Top Indian shuttlers, including world champion P V Sindhu, will be able to hit the courts from July 1 if the Telangana government allows the Badminton Association of India (BAI) to organise a national camp in Hyderabad. With COVID-19 cases surging in Hyderabad, the Telangana government, as a precautionary measure, extended the lockdown till June 30 but it meant the resumption of the sport got further delayed for the top players in the state.